The History of Wrenbury goes back as far as the Domesday Survey when it was known as ‘Warenberie’. In the reign of Edward III (1327-1377), the estate was held by John de Wrenbury – ‘by the render of XIId in silver, or one sparrowhawk’, and then passed through the female line to the Olton family and thence to the Starkey Family.
Until the 1950’s, the Hall became a training centre for tuberculosis sufferers through the generosity of the British Red Cross and the Order of St. John of Jerusalem. The Hall then became a training centre for ambulance personnel until 1982, when it was purchased by the present owners and restored to its original state.
A secret underground passage is reputed to run from a cellar in the Hall to the chancel of Wrenbury Church, a distance of approximately one mile. This is not now capable of proof but there was undoubtedly a passage leading from one of the cellars, now long bricked up.
The front staircase of dark oak, with heavy spiral ballusters and balustrade to match is believed to be some 400 years old, taken from the original building, and gives some idea of the Hall’s antiquity. The painted wooden mantelpieces are also from the original building and are considered of particular interest. The mantelpiece in the ‘green room’, bears the black stork, the main feature of the Starkey coat of arms.
Full coat of arms can be seen above the main entrance and in the oak room. Starkey coats of arms can also be viewed in Wrenbury church to the left hand side of the altar. The front pews on the left also bear the black stork emblem. The left side of the chancel depicts the Starkey family, and on the right, the Cotton family.
Davinia moved into the estate in 1982 as a child with her parents and 2 brothers. Davinia and her Mother launched the business in 1998 whilst Mrs Jones was still working as a Head Teacher.
In 2000 the Orangerie was built at the side of the Hall, seating up to 250 guests for a Wedding or Special Event.
Since the business was initially launched it has seen growth year on year with Brides coming from all over the Country to enjoy the biggest day of their lives in the Hall.
Now Davinia, Sam & Neil work full-time at the Hall looking after all of our clients, guests and suppliers.